You have two options for taking this class:
Take it on Skillshare, which is a Netflix-style membership site where you can take all the classes you want for your monthly membership. I have lots of classes on Skillshare, so this is a great deal! This link gives you a free trial.
Or you can take it on Udemy, where you only sign up for the classes you want to take. On Udemy, I have bundled this class with my class on painting chickens so you’ll have lots of extra examples to learn from! Go here to take it on Udemy.
This class is dedicated to making lively, expressive, personality-filled animal portraits—whether it’s your own pets, that goat you met at the county fair, or your favorite wild animal.
Here’s what you’ll learn:
- How to use either watercolor or gouache, along with mixed-media supplies like colored pencil and markers, to create portraits in your own style.
- How to use measurements, grids, and negative space to get the drawing right.
- How to make a “color map” with colored pencil to establish a base layer of color and value—and to get over the fear of the blank page!
- Different approaches to starting a portrait, by either building up dark tones first or beginning with light washes.
- Finishing touches and texture with our mixed media supplies.
- I’ll provide photos for you to work from, but I also encourage you to round up your own pictures of your pets or your favorite animals.
This is a really fun, whimsical approach to making a portrait in your own style. Once you see the technique, you’ll be able to paint all your favorite animals, and make portraits to hang on the wall or give as gifts.